IRS guidance indicates that you need to report such items on your tax return when they are recognized for tax purposes. You should consult your own professional advisors before making any tax, legal or accounting decisions. 

See the IRS Notice 2014-21 and FAQ and Revenue Ruling 2019-24 and FAQ

Did this answer your question?